Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Life vs. Words

I've been repeatedly running into a certain quote from a book by Cristian Tudor Popescu lately. The Romanian blogs are full of it, each displaying comments of various length. A quick translation would be:

"...if you could choose between dying or having your words buried instead of you underground, eaten by worms, erased, forgotten, while you kept living above forever, what would you do?"
(Cristian Tudor Popescu, Freedom of Hope, Polirom, 2004, p. 6)

My answer would be simple:

"You can have my words, I'll keep my dreams."

Which might imply that I am not a writer and I don't depend on my words yet. Or that I am a visual person with a rich imagination who can find joy without the aid of words. You choose.

I'm curious what the author answered so now I have to look for the book to find out.

No comments: