Friday, May 14, 2010

Supernatural Season 5 Finale


Well, it happened, season 5 finale was aired yesterday, and the world didn't end. I'm still a bit in two minds about it. On one hand, all the hype about the confrontation between Lucifer and Michael turned out to be just a big fuss; on the other, I'm damned relieved Dean got his bittersweet happy-ending. Even just for that and I wouldn't mind if the show stopped here. But no, the network had to get greedy and push it for another season.

Really, this episode had the vibe of a grand finale, as anti-climatic as it was. Even the title, "Swan Song", hinted at that. Of course there were some loose ends, like Dean's amulet never getting to glow and God not showing up as promised, 'cause for the life of me I won't believe that Chuck was God. I don't know what he was, but he wasn't God.

Furthermore, I'm getting sick of seeing Dean have no other purpose in the show lately than to be savagely beaten up. The whole reason of his existence has been discarded this episode when he was given nothing to do in the big scheme of things. He's also been acting out of character this season, first he's "I won't say Yes!", then "I have to say Yes, it's the best chance we've got," then "OK, I don't," only to take a 180 degree turn and say "You say Yes," in the end, when it's a well known fact that he is a one track mind kinda guy. Is it just me or this didn't quite make sense?

Strictly referring to the current episode now, I wasn't blown away by the acting. Jared Padalecki did a better job portraying Lucifer in The End, Jim Beaver was less convincing as Bobby than ever, and I didn't like Jake Abel at all. He did a really good job with his previous appearances, but it was obvious he was in way over his head when it came to Michael. The other actor who played young John Winchester was spot on.

I was surprised there was no final death this time and I'm not sure that saving both characters of Bobby and Castiel for next season is a wise move. They might keep them for continuity reasons, but the way it is now it feels like there was no serious stake at all since everyone was brought back.

Which brings us to the very last scene. It was good to see Sam back too, but was that Sam really? The way I see it, there are quite a few possibilities: 1) it's Sam alive and well; 2) it's Sam's ghost; 3) it's angel Sam; or 4) it's Lucifer. I think we can all agree it's not Michael. So my guess is it's either Sam or Lucifer, probably Sam, though it would be interesting if Dean spent the next season trying to kick Lucifer out of Sam and succeeding in the end.

One thing is certain, free will does exist in this particular universe. Dean didn't get to say yes as predicted and he is very much alive still. He might get to regret it later on, when his new family is wiped from the face of the earth, and we all know there's only one way to dismiss characters from this show and that means killing them as painful as possible, but for now everything is fine.

And so am I. If I don't like the last season, I'll consider the show ended here with Dean reunited with his family and Sam just waiting to knock on the door. Who said happily ever after is not possible?

No comments: