Tuesday, January 31, 2012

2012 January Reading List

Venus – Erotic Sci Fi Stories by SRSFF – Since one of my stories is included in this anthology of course I was curious to see what the other collaborators wrote about. So I started the year with this book and didn’t regret it. My favorite story is “A from Amsterdam” by Silviu Genescu. 4/5 stars (but of course I’m biased)

Sanctus by Simon Toyne – It’s a fast read and easy to put down and take breaks because the chapters are so short. It’s almost as if it was written for people with ADHD. I wasn’t entirely convinced by the characters and religious thrillers are not really my thing so I won’t be following the series. 3/5 stars

The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajanniemi
– I wanted to read this because I had heard many good things about it. 100 pages into it, I realized I didn’t care how it ended. It’s not badly written, I just didn’t care about the characters and what happened to them. 3/5 stars (graded based on partial read)

After Dark by Haruki Murakami – This one was different from my usual reads. I didn’t fall in love with it, but I got caught by the story and enjoyed reading it. I like it when two characters just sit down at a table and talk about life. 4/5 stars

Star grading system reminder:
1 star - you won't find any so it doesn't matter
2 stars - waste of time or unfinished book or both
3 stars - you won't be sorry for reading it but you can just as well live without it
4 stars - it brings something special into your life
5 stars - brilliant, damn near perfect

No comments: