Wednesday, February 29, 2012

2012 February Reading List

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome – This book was such a giggle! Sure, it has some slow parts and you get to learn quite a bit about traveling by boat, but it was a wonderful experience as a whole. 4/5 stars

The Confession by John Grisham - Is it just me or Grisham’s books used to be much more fun in the 90’s? I did not like this one. 2/5 stars

The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester – After the disappointed with “The Stars are My Destination”, I was a bit reluctant to start on another Bester book. Luckily, it’s a better read once you get into the story. 3/5 stars

A Dance of Dragons by George R. R. Martin – I’ve had this one since before Christmas, but then I only read the prologue and let Dad have a go at it first. The problem was that I didn’t like “A Feast of Crowe” and the reviews for “A Dance of Dragons” weren’t that encouraging either. My fears turned out to be true. The book introduces tons of characters I couldn’t care less about, and barely mentions the ones that matter to me. In +1000, pages almost nothing important happens. The plot advances with the speed of a snail, any slower than that and it would go backward. The read is long and boring like a cooking book. Wait, it is a cooking book! Only because even when the plot sucks Martin still manages to write good prose I’ll give it 4/5 stars. (It’s more like 3 stars if you ask me.) Rant over.

The problem with the above mentioned book is that it’s hard to find something to read after Martin and enjoy it too. The solution is to make a complete change and go in a different direction, and this is what I did. Now I kick myself for having not read Truckers, Diggers, and Wings by Terry Pratchett 4 or 5 years ago when I first got the books. The Bromeliad trilogy is so much fun! 4/5 stars

No comments: