Wednesday, October 31, 2012

2012 October Reading List



The Winds of Marble Arch vol. 2 by Connie Willis – I fell in love with Willis' prose during volume 1 last year and nearly fell out of love during volume 2 now. Too much war and too many churches and too little sci fi. 3/5 stars

Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks – It’s space opera so of course I loved it! I had some issues with the characters and plot, not to mention the ending, but I liked it as a whole. 4/5 stars

Cele 1001 de scorneli ale Moshului SF edited by Stefan Ghidoveanu – Since one of my stories is included in this original story collection, I got to read an advanced copy, tee-hee! My favorite were Adrian Buzdugan, Antuza Genescu, Narcisa Stoica, and Florin Pitea’s stories, but they are all good, really! *proud*

The Dark Tower 4: Wizard and Glass by Stephen King – Beginning and ending so so, but the middle was good. Who would have thought that King could write YA? First love and all that crap. But he writes it well so we’re forgiving him for that. 4/5 stars

The Jaguar Hunter by Lucius Shepard – Less sci fi and fantasy and too much mysticism and war. It left me with the same dreading feeling like Eternity and Other Stories. Can’t he write any happy stories at all? 3/5 stars

Wool 1-5 by Hugh Howey – Great first time experience with an indie writer. Good quality sci fi and well written prose. 4/5 stars

No comments: