Friday, November 30, 2012

2012 November Reading List



Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear – Beautiful cover art and the prose is like poetry. But once you strip away the beautiful prose and world building, you realize the story is pretty simple and boring. And it doesn’t end, waaah! Not interested in the sequel. 3/5 stars


Nine Princes of Amber by Roger Zelazny – Nice concept, but the narrator’s voice didn’t sit well with me. I might read the next books in the series if I happen to be in the mood for an adventurous, easy read, though not too soon. 3/5 stars

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman – I have a feeling this book is better enjoyed by male readers. Some things didn’t make sense. I didn’t hate it, but it didn’t engage me as much as Starship Troopers did. Now that one was fun! 3/5 stars

Dying of the Light by George R. R. Martin – I recognized several of the themes from A Song of Ice and Fire. Strange world and hard to warm up to. 3/5 stars

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline – I’ve never pictured myself as a geek or big video game fan, but I quite enjoyed it. It was great for a debut novel and since it’s targeted at a particular niche of readers, it made me wonder what Cline will write next. 4/5 stars

The Stand by Stephen King – The first half was a pain to read, which surprised me because I had fully expected to like this book. I remembered watching the TV series in the early 90’s and thinking “Now this is a great story!” Things got much better once all the characters got together. 4/5 stars

No comments: