Friday, December 28, 2012

2012 Recap

It’s that time of the year again when we’re going through the past year’s accomplishments and list the highlights.

On the writing front:

16 short stories written + one novella
Stories published in 2012 available on-line:
One English story sold for EvolutionVol. 2, available as ebook as well as print edition.

One Romanian story included in "Cele 1001de scorneli  ale Mosului SF", editor Stefan Ghidoveanu, Millennium Books, November, 2012.

There was supposed to be one more anthology published this year, but it was delayed. And no, the zombie anthology is still not out. That’s all right, it means there’ll be three anthologies featuring my stories next year, if everything works well.

My own Romanian story collection was postponed for spring. Still no signed contract, so we’ll see.

There was one other project I sent texts for, but no idea what’s the status of that one.
To shake thing up a bit, I got into self-publishing and I’ve got two titles published already:
- an apocalyptic novella: Human Instincts, June, 2012
- a paranormal story collection: Blue Moon Café Series: Where Shifters Meet for Drinks, December, 2012

Next in line, it’s a vampire novella, The Impaler’s Revenge.

What I didn’t get to do is write a new draft for book 1 in Stolen Wings Prophecy series and finish book 2, but, well, there’s always next year.

And to brag a little, I was nominated in the Debut category at ROMCON 2012, won my second AtelierKult contest, and was awarded second prize at Helion contest. Hmm, does this make me an award-winning writer? I don’t know about that.

But enough about writing, let’s talk about reading. It takes less effort, and it’s just as fun.

87 books read this year out of which 54 read on e-reader.  My Kindle turned out to be a great investment. And I’m getting a little better at not finishing books I don’t enjoy reading. I put down about 5 with no intention to get back to them.

Best books read in 2012:
Among Others – Jo Walton
Mechanique – Genevieve Valentine
The Shadow of the Wind – Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Leviathan Wakes – James S. A. Corey
Drowned Cities – Paolo Bacigalupi
Before They Are Hanged – Joe Abercrombie
Caliban’s War - James S. A. Corey
The Last Argument of the Kings – Joe Abercrombie
Consider Pheblas – Iain M. Banks
Dark Tower 4: Wizard and Glass – Stephen King
Wool 1-5 – Hugh Howey
Ready Player One – Ernest Cline
Mistborn. The Final Empire – Brandon Sanderson

Moving on to music…

Best music albums of 2012:
Leonard Cohen – Old Ideas
Garou – Rhythm and Blues
Matchbox 20 – North
Muse – The 2nd Law
Les Miserables 2012 OST

Movies – Err, I’m drawing a blank here… I’ve seen tons of movies, but nothing memorable comes to mind. I miss movies with an intelligent dialogue, I haven’t seen one in too long. One thing is clear, 3D movies are still crap plot-wise. And The Dark Knight Rises was not as good as expected. Prometheus, Total Recall, John Carter, Bourne, Skyfall, The Hunger Games were all sort of disappointing too. But we loved Brave, which shows that we’re all kids at heart. Now I’m overly excited about Les Miserables and I can’t wait to see it.

There’s no news to report about work. Things are starting to pick up a little after the last slow year. No new website, but Absolute Skating is keeping me pretty busy.

Health wasn’t so great, unfortunately. I began the year with IV’s because of my stomach and then in the summer I had the worst bronchitis in the last ten years. I needed shots and three types of antibiotics to get over it. Whoever said that only geniuses catch cold during summer was terribly mistaken. You have to be an idiot to move from 35C to 15C and expect things to be just peachy.

The worst part of it is that it happened just before going away on vacation so I spent the first half of it still recovering and unable to fully enjoy the trip. But we spent two lovely weeks in Venice and Florence and, if we ignore my health condition, it was great.

Update on the mutant cacti: four of them are still alive, though only one kept the colored top on. Once we moved them on the windowsill to enjoy the sun, the red top one let its top die, while the purple top one spent the entire summer blooming like crazy. Go figure!

I’m still proud of my new bookshelves, even if they’re fully loaded with books and threatening to fall off the wall. I’m slowly plotting to have another set built next to them, but maybe next summer.

We were running a little late with the Christmas preparations, still in the end everything was fine and we’ve been having guests ever since. Fun. We’re also having lots of snow, which is a nice change even if it was really cold for a while.

And here we are. Happy New Year everyone!

No comments: