Thursday, February 28, 2013

2013 February Reading List

Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb – While the writing flows nicely and the world building is not dull, reading about the childhood of a stubborn but purposeless kid set in medieval times was not all that exciting to me. 3/5 stars

To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Philip Jose Farmer – I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read a translation of this book. I found the English somehow hard to stomach. Yet another example of sci fi writers expecting too much from the future. 2008? Yeah, right! 4/5 stars

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer – The constant jumping between storylines was quite distracting. 3/5 stars

A Secret Atlas by Michael A. Stackpole – Book’s too big and messy compared to what it managed to achieve. Can’t say I enjoyed it, and I have zero interest in reading the other books in the series. 3/5 stars

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien – A gem clearly not written for the children from this ADHD century. 3/5 stars

The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead – I was so ready for this series to end, but apparently there’s more? Damn. 3/5 stars

Shatter Me by Tehereh Mafi – There’s very little sci fi or fantasy in this story, except at the end when it turns full out X-men. There’s zero world building, and frankly, the world makes no sense. It reads like a bitter-sweet love story disguised as a dystopia. The narrator’s inner monologue is full of metaphors, but it’s not grating even if it uses present tense. Because it hits a little too close to home, I can’t say I hated it but… 2/5 stars

Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge – It has a slow and not terribly exciting start, but the second half is absolutely great. The best read of the month by far. 4/5 stars

No comments: