Tuesday, March 19, 2013

About "Calatorii in timp"

Time travel. A fascinating subject. And also a little frustrating because everyone seems to agree that no matter what you do you can’t change the past. So why bother? But let’s start from the beginning…

I had known about the SRSFF’s time travel anthology project since the announcement had been made public, and I had it marked on my schedule to write for it. This happened sometime in the spring, but only in July I got to start on it. I was coming after a couple of months of hard work on several other writing project, including my own story collection “Efectul de nautil” (The Nautilus Effect), and I was in the mood for writing something different.

It was summer, hot, little brother was out of school and had gotten into the college he wanted, and we were already making vacation plans. As it happens, in the beginning of the year I had read a few books with the  action taking place in Barcelona, and that had made me nostalgic for that place, several places in the city really, since our vacation there had been a short one. So I pulled out my vacation photos and made a list with the places I would like to revisit. From that point on, it was like solving a puzzle and figuring out where my characters should go next.

Now my readers know that description isn’t my strongest point when it comes to writing, so this story isn’t really about Barcelona. I’ll leave that to Carlos Ruiz Zafon and other Spanish writers who can and did do it much better than I could. No, this is an adventure story with a chaotic timeline like all of the best time travel stories should be. However, you can use this story as a tourist guide if you happen to be in Barcelona, and you lost yours. Send me pictures if you do! :)

All in all, it was a fun writing process. The publishing was delayed for some reason, and instead of hitting the shelves in 2012, it only does now. But, and it’s a big but, “Calatorii in timp. Antologie de povestiri SF” (Time Travels. Anthology of Sci Fi Stories) is now published by Nemira, and if you’re from the same generation as me and grew up reading Nemira books then you know how this feel.

Until you can get your hands on the book and read “Punct de rendez-vous la cota +3000” (Rendez-vous Point at +3000), I’ll leave you with an incentive, shots of the places you will get to see.

No comments: